Sunday, July 5, 2009

Independence Day!

The Fourth of July has long been my favorite holiday! Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy Christmas, Easter, and Thanksgiving, but there is something about the Fourth that gets me so excited. Perhaps it is the History geek in me or maybe it is because it is such a low maintenance holiday, with grilling, great friends, fireworks, sparklers, and warm sunshine. Growing up we had great times at Fort Monroe watching the fireworks or at the Capitol to picnic, throwing the frisbee, and writing our names with sparklers. My Uncle Mike always has a great cul de sac fireworks display in Orlando and I love the memories of being at the lake in upstate New York, setting off bottle rockets. Although these are all reasons that I love Independence Day, I think the biggest reason is that I am so grateful to be in a country of freedom. I am free to celebrate the Lord on other holidays because of this freedom; I am free to read what I desire; I am free to have as many children as I want; I am just free. When I think of the men and women who had the forethought to write down these rights and the men and women who continue to protect those rights, I am in awe. When I hear "Star and Stripes Forever" or "America, the Beautiful," I cannot help but tear up.

We had a great day at the Rodmans with some of our friends. There were chips and dips, rib eyes, a flag cake, kids, and dogs. It was a wonderful day!


All decked out in patriotic gear!

Sharnel Duarte and Titus. Sharnel and her husband, Ben, are preparing to adopt a little girl and we could not be more excited for them!

Joel, Titus, and Mr. Frog

Lisa and her flag cake

Titus holding his own bottle. This is a recent development!

Titus crashed in our Ergo Baby carrier...by far the best baby carrier out there!

I hope that everyone had a great day and although I believe that this country has gotten away from its roots, this is a day to remember that we have rights by the Grace of God and not by the Grace of Government.


"Let the Fourth of July always be a reminder that here in this land, for the first time, it was decided that man is born with certain God-given rights; that government is only a convenience created and managed by the people, with no powers of its own except those voluntarily granted to it by the people" Ronald Reagan

No comments: